Keep on Top of Carpet Cleaning Quickly and Efficiently
Floor coverings have a tough life. You walk on them all the time. When dirty shoes leave unpleasant marks and odours it is time to restore your carpets, mats and rugs. There are a host of products, machines and cleaning companies to choose from. Take some time to get the right advice before embarking on rug or carpet cleaning– these tips could help;
1. Deep-set dirt, dust and grime should be brought to the surface of the carpet before it is vacuumed. It is a good idea to buy a new stiff brush specifically for this task to avoid the danger of grinding the dirt from an old broom into the fibres of your rugs. Taking a few minutes to thoroughly brush your mats will seriously enhance the results you achieve with a vacuum cleaner.
2. It is sensible to vacuum your floors regularly so that dirt does not become engrained in the fabric leading to stains. You should also empty the dirt-collecting bag of your vacuum cleaner often to keep the machine performing properly. If your vacuum is not getting your carpet clean, you might need to invest in new attachments or a whole new machine.
3. An alternative to the vacuum cleaner is the home steam carpet cleaner. This specialist carpet cleaning equipment comes in a wide range of designs and prices. Check out online reviews before deciding if buying one of these gadgets is necessary for you. Another less expensive option is to hire a machine from time to time. Large supermarkets, DIY stores and local cleaning companies offer steam cleaners for hire. You can also look online to find the most competitive quotes. A thorough clean with one of these appliances can breathe fresh life into a world-weary carpet.
4. Stain removal products are an essential element of any cleaning cupboard. Keep suitable chemicals on hand so that you can quickly respond to any spills that could damage your carpets. Prompt action with a proper stain remover can save your mat or rug from harm. Blotting any spillage with a clean cloth and warm water should be done immediately. When this has gotten out as much liquid as possible, apply the appropriate stain removal product. Always read the manufacturer’s instructions before applying chemicals onto your carpets. An added precaution is to test any cleaning product on an inconspicuous part of the carpet to check that there are no adverse effects.
5. It is advisable to give all your floor coverings a thorough clean every 12 to 18 months. High-traffic areas and lighter-coloured carpets might need 2 or 3 cleans each year to keep them looking good. Scotchgard can also maintain a carpet in ‘like-new’ condition.
6. Remember to protect your furniture, upholstery and drapery when using carpet cleaning chemicals. It is also wise to look after the carpet padding (underlay) and subfloor whilst cleaning. If you use a wet extraction method for cleaning carpets it is essential that the fabric is completely dry within 24 hours to avoid the formation of mildew or mould.
In many homes, carpets see a lot of traffic. No matter how careful you may try to be, high foot traffic can create messes on your carpets. Spills of liquids and food are unavoidable too. Keeping the carpets in a hygienic state is a vital exercise in your home cleaning routine. Simple solutions such as vacuuming, applying Scotchgard and treating stains as soon as they occur can help you keep on top of carpet cleaning quickly and efficiently.