The Importance of Attic Cleaning
Domestic cleaning is an important part of overall property maintenance. It is surprising how often both go hand in hand, especially when it comes to the attic area. Unfortunately, when it comes to cleaning the attic, most homeowners seem oblivious about the needs of that place and the time they need to invest in the job.
The attic is not a regularly visited room, apart from the few visits you pay there every now and then to store some of your belongings or take some seasonal stuff out. However, it should be noted that attics do require home cleaning and regular inspection. If you fail to inspect for potential problems, you may be unpleasantly surprised to find real trouble at some point. Here is what you need to watch out for:
- Pests - although pests are a common problem for households, it could be quite shocking to discover an issue like this. The truth is that rats, mice, squirrels, many types of insects (wasps, termites and ants) or even birds in some cases find the attic an ideal place to reside. It’s sheltered and warm, not to mention close to food. That is why some animals find their way in through holes, cracks and other openings. Don’t forget to check for signs that you have a pest problem. As you do your house cleaning runs, inspect every corner of the attic for animal leavings and other clues that show there is an unwanted guest. Seal cracks and openings in a timely manner to prevent any pests from entering the room.
- Odour - bad odours seeping through the attic are often caused by a pest infestation, but there are other causes too. Mould and mildew colonies produce unpleasant odours as well and could serve as tale sign of a serious problem in your attic. Proper ventilation and attic cleaning services are required to get rid of the problem. Don’t allow poor air quality and unpleasant aromas to spoil the environment of your home and deal with a dirty attic in time.
- Water - the problem with moisture in the attic is that it is a cause for mould and mildew development. The thing about mould and mildew is that they present health hazards for home residents. Every professional cleaner knows that ventilating the attic is a necessary step of the cleaning process. Clean vents enable humid warm air from inside your home to escape properly.
- Dust - there could be a whole ton of dust in your attic covering all stored belongings there. Over a longer period of time this problem could escalate and produce dirty environment with poor air quality. What is more, this dusty air could easily get pulled down to living areas of your home, spoiling the environment there. Thorough cleaning is required to take care of this problem and ensure that it doesn’t affect other rooms of your home too.
- Cracks and holes - a myriad of problems in the attic is caused by tiny cracks, holes and openings in the walls or windows of the room. Check out areas around the insulation, walls, beams and rafters to spot these tiny openings and seal them before they let in moisture or pests inside the attic. Proper home cleaning and decluttering go a long way in clearing out the way to these damaged areas and the easy fix for them.
- Insulation damage - as you probably well know, having proper attic insulation is very important. However, it can easily get damaged by any of the problems listed above. Compressed, shredded and moist insulation is less effective or doesn’t do its job at all, so you should see to it that is not the case. Inspect insulated areas during your domestic cleaning routines to identify such problems in a timely manner.
The attic of your home should be inspected regularly for any of these problems. Fix them up quickly so that they don’t escalate to something bigger.