Helpful Cleaning Solutions That You Can Try Out
If the family vehicle is not in top shape and is leaking oil on the driveway, you have to fix the problem right away. Getting black stains on the ground is the last thing you want. It’s not only displeasing to look at, but quite bad as it makes the ground sticky. Bottom line: it’s quite an unpleasant problem to have.
When it comes to cleaning oil stains, one might think that this task is best left to professionals. The nature of the stain is such that it won’t come off easily; this much is for sure. And while a professional cleaner may be able to help you to some extent, you are welcome to try the following methods, which have proven very effective. Keep in mind that treating oil stains while they are still fresh will result in higher chance of success, which is the main reason why you should try to clean the stains on your own. You got a clear problem: nasty oil stains. Now here are 7 cleaning solutions that you can try out:
- Kitty litter - kitty litter has been known to help remedy oil stains due to its absorbent nature. First, you have to mop up the excess liquid, assuming the stain is still fresh. Next, cover the stain with some kitty litter. The brand doesn’t really matter - you can use the one you currently have in home, if you have a pet, or just grab the first one you see at the store. Stomp onto it to make it absorb oil easily. Let it sit overnight and sweep the area. Rinse in water. This should be enough of cleaning service, but you can repeat the procedure more if there is still oil on the ground.
- Cola - apart from being the favourite drink of millions of people, Cola has multiple other uses that you may have never considered. Cleaning oil spills is among them. Wipe up the excess liquid and pour a can of Cola on the stained area. Let it sit overnight to do its job and then clean with water. The result should be quite pleasing.
- Dishwashing detergent - for a more active approach on cleaning oil stains, you can use a dishwashing detergent. Squirt some of the liquid detergent onto the stain and pour some water. Scrub the area with a brush and rinse with water.
- Powder laundry detergent - similarly to dishwashing detergent, a powdered laundry detergent can be used effectively for some scrubbing action. After wiping the excess oil, cover the stained area with detergent and add water. Use a stiff brush to scrub thoroughly and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then wipe the surface.
- WD-40 spray - the moisture-displacing qualities of WD-40 make this product quite useful in cleaning oil stains. Apply a generous amount of the spray and hose off with water. You can find the product in stores and you will do well to consider having a can ready at home, since it has many uses and is helpful in many home cleaning tasks.
- Oven cleaner - the oven is an area of your home that requires strong products in order to dissolve the accumulated spoils. Spray the product on the stain and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to do its job. Get a stiff brush and scrub well. Rinse off the area with water at high pressure.
- Baking soda - this product is useful in many home cleaning tasks. It is cherished for its eco-friendly cleaning properties. It can deal with oil stains as well. Just sprinkle on the stained area and scrub with a brush. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing with water.
These are 7 effective methods for getting oil stains off your garage floor. Remember to take care of the spill as soon as you possibly can, as that will guarantee success.