Often times, when you cannot focus on a given task, you just blindly follow the same procedure you have practiced forever, without thinking about a better and more effective way to do the job. That is especially true when it comes to domestic cleaning chores.
The problem with that is doing an ineffective home clean means that soon enough you will have to redo your work. That is a solid reason why house cleaning is considered such a bother in the first place! In order to change that, you need to re-evaluate your methods of cleaning certain areas of your home. Here are a few examples to reconsider:
- Showerheads - it doesn’t take vigorous scrubbing strong enough to equal a biceps workout. That is just overkill, and yet that is how some people prefer to tackle this bathroom cleaning chore. The far more effective way of dealing with it is to fill a plastic bag with white vinegar and wrap it around the showerhead. Leave that for about an hour so that the hard water deposits and soap scum are dissolved. Then all you will have to do is wash the showerhead clean with a cloth towel.
- Cheese grater - if you have just finished grating some cheese onto a delicious homemade pizza, it is time to address cleaning the grater. Instead of destroying another sponge in vain attempts to remove the cheese stuck in the holes, you can take a potato and grate it. The idea is that the potato contains oxalic acid to help with getting cheese residue off with ease. Clever and effective!
- Blender - normally you’d invest an hour or so to disassemble every piece of the blender and then wash it separately. While it is still a good idea to do this from time to time, you can get away with an easier method. Fill with hot water and dish soap and whirl it before rinsing clean. That ought to work nicely.
- Cutting boards - one of the few solutions that work well for sanitising cutting boards is soap. However, if you are more of an eco-friendly type of person, you can try out rubbing half a lemon along the surface. Then wash with water for a great disinfecting effect.
- Microwave - oven cleaning is without a doubt one of the most dreadful chores. Cleaning the microwave less so, but still something you probably ignore because it takes up precious time. Wouldn’t it be great if the oven could clean itself? That is partly the case with the following method: fill a bowl with equal parts vinegar and water. Put it in the microwave and turn it on for about 2 minutes. You will be stunned at the cleaned interior afterwards.
- Mattress - cleaning the mattress has always been one of the more difficult tasks, because of the fact that it comes with an immovable cover. However, mattress cleaning is still possible. Start by vacuuming it to remove the larger dirt particles. Next, sprinkle baking soda all over the surface and let it sit for half an hour. Vacuum up the soda and enjoy a mattress that no longer emits unpleasant odours.
- Toaster - you don’t need specialised solutions to get the exterior of your toaster shiny and clean. Just take a sponge and use cream of tartar with some water to rub around for a shiny result!
- Coffee maker - in order to spend less time on this appliance responsible for making your favourite drink, you should fill the chamber with a mix of water/vinegar. A half-brew cycle without the coffee should do wonders. Run a few cycles afterwards to get rid of the vinegar smell.
Try out all these simple home cleaning methods and you will quickly learn that they are easy and far more effective than anything you have been doing so far.